Friday, March 11, 2016

Teaching Is In My DNA

DNA Model Student Projects
I was interviewing for my first real, full time teaching position after I completed my Master's degree.  One of the first interview questions the principal asked me was, "So, Mrs. Guzman, why do you want to teach?"  I thought for a few seconds and my natural response..."Teaching is in my DNA."  She told me that was the perfect answer, and although it is a perfect answer, in my case it really is true!

Both of my parents are educators at heart.  My father taught secondary science and then became a lawyer, but now works as the school board attorney for one of the largest school districts in South Texas. All of my father's sister's are teachers and my paternal grandparents were both teachers as well.  My mother started her career in education as a math teacher over twenty years ago.  She later become an elementary school counselor, then an assistant principal.  She recently retired, but is still involved in education by supervising new teachers involved in an alternative certification program.  Luckily, my entire life, I have been surrounded by excellent educators so teaching came natural to me.
Modeling my DNA earrings
created by one of my students

I always had my high school students complete a Careers in Science project. My students would always ask why I am a teacher, since the pay is so minimal and we have such a difficult job.  My answer to them is always, because of YOU (the students).  My students keep my fire for education burning and they inspire me to be a lifelong learner. I actively look for professional development opportunities for myself since I always strive to do better.  I want to ensure I am providing them a strong science foundation that will help them in the real world and hopefully inspire them to love science as much as I do. I hope this personal drive to keep moving forward as an educator is reflected back to the students and teachers I have worked with in the past, currently work with, and will work with in the future.  

To all the educators out there, think about what keeps your internal fire burning for education?

Science Teacher Student Career Project

1 comment:

  1. This will be the primary inquiry at relatively every meeting. Simply give a short foundation in around three sentences. Reveal to them what schools you moved on from, what you're guaranteed to educate, what your showing and working encounters are, and why you'd love the activity. University cheap dissertation writing service

    ReplyDelete